Housing Quality Standards
Once a Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) participant/family has found a suitable unit and the owner has approved the family, YHA will need to determine if the unit qualifies for the HCV program. This includes a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection. Inspections are performed upon initial move-in and annually thereafter to ensure the unit meets the minimum health and safety standards according to HUD.
Below is a list of the most common conditions which cause a unit to fail inspection:
- Nonfunctional smoke detectors
- Missing or cracked electrical outlet cover plates
- Missing railings where required
- Peeling exterior or interior paint
- Tripping hazards caused by permanently installed flooring coverings (e.g. carpets and/or vinyl)
- Cracked or broken windowpanes
- Inoperable stove burners or range hoods
- Missing burner control knobs
- Inoperable bathroom fans or no ventilation in bathroom
- Leaking faucets or plumbing
- No temperature/pressure-relief valve on water heaters
Please click here to visit HUD’s website with information regarding HQS inspections, including a description of each type of inspection and a checklist to ensure your unit meets HUD’s requirements for the Housing Choice Voucher program.
You can also view Yakima Housing Authorities HQS inspection check list by clicking here.